Check our Events Calendar for information about Forest Stewardship Program, Extension, and other natural resource events. News and timber price update there as well. If you know of a workshop, event, link or news story that should be included here, please send an email with the name of the event, date, location, and contact phone or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Events Calendar, Timber Price Update, News Briefs
- Use Floridainvasives.org to find assistance with treating or preventing an invasive exotic plant infestation.
- Thanks Florida Forest Stewardship Program Sponsors!
- Forest Stewardship Workshop and Tour Materials Available (some in limited supply)
- Ties to the Land: Your Family Forest Heritage
- Cover Your A$$ets: Estate Planning, Conservation Planning and Income Options
- World Resource Institute's "Ecosystem Markets: Making Them Work" Video and Resources
- Master Tree Farmer and Master Wildlifer videos are on-line
- Additional News and Resources
This is a resource for families facing the challenge of passing their properties and land-based businesses from one generation to the next. The Ties to the Land website will help guide family landowners through ownership transition. Developed to address the needs of forest landowners, the site has relevance for families with agricultural or other land-based businesses as well. The website includes streaming video clips, excerpts from the Ties to the Land workbook, a calendar of events and links to other relevant sites. The site will be expanded, and new features added, to meet users’ emerging needs.
Cover Your A$$ets: Estate Planning, Conservation Planning and Income Options for Forestland Owners, Award Winning 2-DVD/1-CD set now available from UF/IFAS Extension Bookstore
Forestland ownership and management can be a real challenge in the face of a changing forest product market and the land boom overtaking many areas of the South. It takes careful planning and active management to keep forest property economically viable today and in a productive and healthy condition for generations to come.
Cover Your A$$ets is an award winning resource that provides property owners and county officials with
tools they need to help maintain private ownership and active management
forestland properties in a valuable and sustainable manner. Presented
DVDs by some of the leading authorities on forestry, land management
financial planning, the program covers topics such as:
• Estate Planning • Starting a Pine Straw Enterprise • Conservation Easements • Hunting Leases for Revenue • Wildlife Management Assistance • Silvopasture • Rural Lands Stewardship • Ecotourism
A supplementary CD provides information
about the project, presenter bios
and abstracts, and other publications and Web links for each topic covered on
the DVDs. Watch sample video clips on Southern Regional Extension Forestry Site.
Notes have been compiled from each of the 16 panels held on the first day of the event on the conference website, as well as the opening video address from USDA Under Secretary Harris Sherman at: http://ecomarketconference.com/panel-notes-and-summaries/. In the next week, we will also be posting video, at the same location, covering the opening and closing plenary sessions including perspectives from Disney, Dow, Plum Creek, Pepsi, Colorado Cattleman’s Association, Bear Tooth Capital, Solano Partners, USDA, World Resources Institute, Resources for Future, Solano Partners and Clemson University.
WRI als announces the release of EcosystemCommons.org. This collaborative workspace is designed for the ecosystem services community of professionals to advance science and practice. It is the ideal venue to build on the rich conversations and collaborations inspired by the conference. Please visit www.EcosystemCommons.org and join the virtual community today!
Hard copies of materials from these programs are available, free of charge, while supplies last:
- Property tour at Alford Arm Greenway in Leon County, fall 2005
- Property Tour at Windy Hill Ranch in Walton County, spring 2006
- Property Tour at Dingmon Tract in Putnam County, spring 2006
- Workshop: Beyond Food Plots - Enhancing Wildlife Habitat on Your Forest Property, spring 2006
- Workshop: Marketing Your Forest Products, summer 2006
- Property Tour at Kent-Carroll Forests in Holmes County, fall 2006
- Property Tour at Wylly Coyote Preserve in Levy County, spring 2007
- Property Tour at Cognito Farm in Bradford County, fall 2007
- Workshop: Invasive Exotic Plants and Their Control, winter 2008
- Property Tour at South Prong Plantation, Baker County, spring 2008
- Property Tour at Gould Tree Farm, Washington County, spring 2008
- Workshop: Marketing Your Forest Products - Tried and True and Some Things New, spring 2008
- Property Tour at Bud and Karen Turner Property in Okaloosa County, fall 2008
- Property Tour at Ashley Farms in Madison County, fall 2008
- Workshop: Use Prescribed Fire Safely and Effectively, spring 2009
- Workshop: Manage for Mutiple Resources - Equipment and Demonstration, spring 2009
- Silvopasture Tour at George Owens Farm in Washington County, spring 2009
- Property Tour at Sunset Hill Farm in Madison County, fall 2009
- Property Tour at Turkey Hill Farm in Leon County, fall 2009
- Green Circle Bio Energy Mill Tour / Energy Wood Workshop in Jackson County, fall 2009
- Property Tour at Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranch in Suwannee County, fall 2009
- Property Tour at Promise Ranch, Lake County, Winter 2010
- 2010 Small Forest Alternative Enterprise Tour, Lee County, Winter 2010
- Workshop: Diversify Income from Your Land, Spring 2010
- Workshop / Hike: Tree / Plant Identification for Forestland Owners, Spring 2010
- Workshop: Invasive Exotic Plants and Their Control, Fall 2010
- Property Tour at Gaskin Farm, Fall 2010
- Property Tour at Legacy Timber Tract, Fall 2010
- Property Tour at Evans Farm, Fall 2010
- Workshop: Longleaf Pine Forest Restoration and Management, Spring 2011
- Workshop: Manage the Pond & Mind the Creek, Spring 2011
If you are interested in receiving a copy of any of these, contact Chris Demers at (352) 846-2375 or email email@example.com.
Visit these external sites for more forest, natural resource and landowner related news and updates:
- American Forest Foundation
- Florida Forestry Association
- Florida Farm Bureau
- Forest Landowners Association
- Southern Regional Extension Forestry
- Private Landowner Network
- Alabama Forest Owner's Association, Inc.
- Timber Mart-South (quarterly regional timber price trend summaries)